Memories: Oldest boy to be caned at school?

Was a nineteen-year-old the oldest boy in England to be caned by his headmaster?

Paul Kitchener had to bend over and touch his toes for four strokes after he had left the school premises in the afternoon without permission to go swimming. It happened in 1968 at Wellingborough Grammar School, Northants.

He told an online forum in 2005 he had stayed on in the sixth-form for a third year to prepare for entrance exams to Cambridge University.

He said the headmaster Harold Wrenn probably took the ‘easy option’. He wrote, “I had in fact gone out after he had refused me permission already so it was what was called in those days ‘straight defiance’. Also, I was only 19 by a couple of days and I’m sure he wasn't aware of this.”

He added, “I admit it was far from being my first time, but the whole procedure was no different from when I was a 14-year-old; he didn’t seem to differentiate.”

He wrote, “Exactly what was he going to achieve by doing what he did? If it was in front of a class or the school then, fair enough, it would be some kind of ‘example’. But what was the use of this ludicrous ritual in private with a [just] 19-year-old?”

A lively correspondence took place in the forum after Kitchener’s first post with some doubting the truth of his account. Kitchener wrote, “I am quite sure he didn’t realise I’d turned 19, but I doubt he’d have cared. I’m also quite sure in my mind of his ‘normality’ and [he] had no weird/sexual motivation. He was just a typical product of those times who worked on the premise, ‘If it’s in a school blazer, hit it. That’ll do the trick’.”

“I can honestly say my reaction was completely neutral. I had no resentment at the time at ‘being treated as an 11-year-old’ possibly because it was an element of school humour that the gentleman concerned never noticed his charges growing up! His general demeanour towards the sixth form was the butt of many a joke, and indeed there were occasional references in class from iconoclastic junior staff about his attitude in staff meetings which matched our ‘Victorian’ perception of him.”

Kitchener said, “You must view this incident against a background whereby, although I achieved academically, I had been a ‘regular’ in his study (one or two times a year) throughout my schooldays so I can’t say there was any psychological effect.

“At the time, it was damned annoying and the source of amusing conversations. Had it been a first experience, however, the outcome could have been more traumatic.”

 

We have seen a number of accounts of sixth-formers (including those aged eighteen) being caned at school, including:

Caned for nobbling annual school cross-country race

Smoking sixth-formers set study on fire

Head canes 18-year-old for freeing rabbits

Never too old

Caned 18-year-old runs to court

Jeremy Vine caned after pantomime cow prank

 

Picture credit: Sting Pictures

 

For more True Memories, click here

Traditional School Discipline

Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts