Flogging scene in school magazine

 

Here’s a curiosity from the magazine of Wilson’s Grammar School, south London, in 1971.

It’s a flogging scene with the words taken from the diary of Alexander Jephson, headmaster of the school in 1708.

The drawings are by N. O’Brien who was in form 3A and would have been 13 or 14 years old at the time.

“I bid him come forth to receive punishment for his fault and I ordered another to come and take him up. Wildly instead of complying and begging pardon for his transgression stubbornly resisted and cried I won’t and swelled like a turkey-cock. You won’t! said I then you or I must be master. Where upon I took him by the arm pulled him out of the form, threw him upon his back on the floor, unbuttoned his breeches, then turned him on his belly and gave him half a dozen good jerks. When he felt the smart he cried out ‘I yield! I yield!’”

As published in the Wilsonian, 1971, online here.

Traditional School Discipline

Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com


Comments

Popular Posts