‘Belt never did me any harm ....’

‘It never did me or millions of children like me any harm and it acted as a deterrent for bad behaviour.’ A letter-writer to a local Scottish newspaper in 2015 calls for the return of corporal punishment.

Schools need more discipline

SIR - Like most people I was deeply shocked and saddened to hear about the death of a teenager at a school in Aberdeen.

But I seriously have felt for a long time that teachers do an excellent and hard job but it is made harder by the fact that some children in the classrooms have a complete lack of boundaries and seem to be afraid of nobody and they also are very aware of their rights.

The worst thing to happen to the education system in Britain was the abolition of corporal punishment.

If children misbehaved or were disrespectful in class, they were given or threatened with the belt.

I realise that while we are part of Europe this would never be allowed because of human rights laws.

But when I was younger if I was given the belt for misbehaving and I went home to my parents and complained about it I would get one from them as well.

It never did me or millions of children like me any harm and it acted as a deterrent for bad behaviour. Where is discipline in schools?

Gordon Kennedy. 117 Simpson Square, Perth.

As published in The Courier & Advertiser (Perth and Perthshire Edition), 2 November 2015

Picture credit: Unknown.

Traditional School Discipline

Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts