Cadet caned after parading for Field Marshal Montgomery
Cadet
caned after Monty’s parade
IT was a thrilling day for 14-year-old Tony Hope when
he learned that he was to be one of the Army Cadet Force guard of honour for Field Marshal
Viscount Montgomery.
But his joy turned to disappointment, for he could not
get leave of absence from school.
Tony thought it out carefully – then decided he must
be on parade when Monty visited Durham. So he played truant.
Next day he paid the penalty. He was caned in front of
his classmates at Shiney Row County Boys’ School, near Houghton-le-Spring.
IT
SMARTED
Tony said yesterday [18 January 1953] “The caning
smarted a bit, but when I thought of the great honour of being a guard for such
a famous soldier it did not hurt anymore.”
Mr. A. Dickinson, the headmaster, said: “The boy was
punished for being absent without reasonable excuse. He had made no request to
me for leave.
“If he had, I would have approached the divisional
education officer. When it was reported to me that Hope had gone to the parade without
permission I told his teacher to deal with the matter.”
Mr. Dickinson, who had a commission in World War 1 and
was a Home Guard major in the last war, went on: “I would be the last person to
wish to do anything that could be interpreted as a slur on such a distinguished
soldier.”
A senior officer of the Durham Light Infantry Cadet
Regiment said: “I am rather shocked to hear that the boy was caned. But his
reaction to the punishment seems to indicate an excellent spirit.”
Colonel A. Stoner, a schoolmaster and commanding
officer of the battalion of which Tony has been a member for about 10 months,
said: “Th evening before the parade the boys were told by the adjutant that the
education committee had declined to grant them leave of absence.”
As published in the Daily
Herald (UK), 19 January 1953.
Picture credit (of Montgomery): Unknown.
FOOTNOTE
“Keep
the cane,”
says
Montgomery
FIELD MARSHAL Viscount Montgomery told teachers in New
York that caning in schools was the best way of cutting down the flow of
hooligans and criminals into the world. He added: “I was well beaten myself –
and I’m better for it.”
(Manchester Evening News (UK), 24 November
1954).
Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com







Comments
Post a Comment