High School Students suspended after paddling incident

 

A bit of horse-play that went wrong? It is not okay for older schoolboys to paddle their younger buddies, even if they consent to it …


As published in the Telegraph (North Platt, Nebraska, United States), 27 April 1996

 

Picture credit: Unknown

Traditional School Discipline

Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com


Comments

  1. Awww, the poor widdle dears...this may have been inspired by the 1993 movie Dazed and Confused which features high school initiations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow.... life imitates art imitating life. Dazed and Confused is set in the 1970s and based on the director's own experiences in the 1970s. People who went to school back then often get asked "was it really like it's shown in that movie?" and some say no, but some say absolutely yes!

      I agree this incident was almost certainly inspired by the movie because it's exactly the same scenario: eighth-graders agreeing to take paddlings from high school kids the summer before they start high school themselves.

      I would guess that in 1996, it was still legal for teachers in state schools to paddle kids in state school. So the Superintendent reaction seems excessive to me.

      Kudos to the 8th grade kids for agreeing to be paddled! I wonder how the authorities found out what was going on.

      Delete
    2. oops, I meant "teachers in Nebraska"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts