Memories: a cane called ‘Excalibur’

A local radio station BBC Lancashire asked listeners to share their memories of schooldays in Burnley. Inevitably, the subject of corporal punishment come up. Brian Hunt remembers a cane called Excalibur.

I went to Towneley Technical High School from 1947 to 1951. I think our year was the first (or mebbe second) intake after the school changed from a secondary modern to a high school. You had to pass the 11+ to get in!

Our first home room teacher was Mr. Clook (French), said to have suffered burns as a pilot in the war. Other teachers of note – Mr Wall (constantly jangled coins in his pants pocket); Sabu (English) – can’t remember his real name – his favourite punishment was “order mark & 10 lines”.

Joey Redhead who had a board ruler marked in chalk (in reverse) – arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trig., which he applied to the seat of your pants if you erred, leaving an imprint thereon and for more serious transgressions a cane called “Excalibur” – man that really hurt.

Clem Cole, chemistry, very bushy black eyebrows; Mr Baldwin (I think that’s right), also chemistry, who spoke with very sibilant esses and lots of spray causing Brian Bithel to raise a paper umbrella in class one day. Big mistake.

The two Mr Lords – metalworking & woodworking; Mr. Saul who I remember seeing chasing a gym malefactor around the corridor brandishing a running shoe as a club.

That’s a long time ago now, and although I can’t remember where I put my keys, I can remember Towneley quite well. After going through an engineering apprenticeship at Joseph Lucas, I emigrated to Canada where I still reside.

Extracted from BBC Radio Lancashire website, 24 September 2014

Picture credit: Unknown

 For more True Memories, click here

Traditional School Discipline

Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts