Teacher in court after whacking boy on the bare


 TEACHER WHACKED SCHOOLBOY WITH SHOE

Trial hears Winifred Holtby tutor told pupil to remove trousers before ‘corporal punishment beating’

A TEACHER indecently assaulted a pupil during a “corporal punishment” beating, a trial has heard.

Kevin Shaw, 55, is alleged to have “whacked” the boy with a shoe on his bare buttocks after ordering him to bend over in a store room at Winifred Holtby secondary school in Bransholme in the 1990s.

Mr Shaw, of Perth Street West, west Hull, is on trial at Hull Crown Court and denies a single charge of indecent assault.

Prosecutors say there was a “sexual element” to the beating allegedly administered by the geography teacher for bad behaviour.

Nigel Clive, prosecuting, said when Mr Shaw was interviewed by police in February last year, he “denied the sexual element but did accept he had administered some form of corporal punishment to about five or six boys over his teaching career”.

He said he may have taught the complainant, but “denied anything like this happened”.

Opening the case to a jury of eight women and four men on Wednesday, Mr Clive said the alleged incident happened after the boy had left a class for “misbehaving”, and was told to see Mr Shaw “when everybody had gone”.

The prosecutor said Mr Shaw gave the teenager “three options”.

Mr Clive said these were: “Firstly, that he could be placed on report. Secondly, that his parents could be informed.

“Or thirdly, this defendant could deal with it in a more summary fashion, and strike him ten times across his buttocks.”

Mr Clive said the boy chose the third option, not wanting to be placed on report and because he “didn’t want his parents to find out”.

“The defendant, upon hearing this, locked the classroom door,” Mr Clive said. “Again, members of the jury, the prosecution say this gives you an insight into what was about to occur, an indication of the indecency that was about to transpire.”

The pupil was taken into an adjoining store room and was “made to bend over at the waist”, the court heard.

Mr Clive said: “After two strikes with a shoe to his buttocks, the complainant said it was far too painful.”

He was dreading the prospect of another eight strikes, Mr Clive said, so “agreed to remove his trousers and underpants, because the defendant told him he could either have ten strikes to his trouser bottom, or five strikes if the trousers and underwear were removed”.

Mr Shaw is then alleged to have hit the boy two strikes on his bare buttocks, but the second “was so forceful the complainant fell to the ground, and the complainant at that point begged for this defendant to stop, and he did”, the prosecutor said.

The boy then got dressed and left the store room, with Mr Shaw telling him “it was all dealt with and he was free to leave”, the court heard.

A video recording of the complainant’s police interview was played to the jury, in which he said he had been “causing trouble”.

The man said after Mr Shaw had locked the classroom and told him to go in the store room, “He said he was gonna hit me across my backside and said ‘You can have ten, or if you take your trousers off you will have five.’

“I was embarrassed and stuff, so I said ten. Then he started to hit me.

“He asked me to bend over and then he hit me. It hurt and he hit me again and I kind of fell forward and I wanted to stop. I was crying.

“He then said it will be over quicker if you take your trousers down. So I stood up, turned round. He made me face him.

“I took my trousers down. He then said ‘And your pants as well,’ so I took my pants down.

“He asked me to turn round and bend over again and he hit me again and again.

“I fell again and I was crying. I asked him to stop. I couldn’t take any more.”

Mr Clive said the complainant had told a friend and his wife before reporting the matter to police in February last year.

He told the jury they would have to decide if there was a sexual element to what happened, “if you are satisfied some corporal punishment took place”.

The trial continues.

As reported in Hull Daily Mail,29 August 2019.

Shaw was subsequently found guilty and sentenced to 15 months in prison.

Picture credit: Darrien.

Traditional School Discipline

Comments

Popular Posts