Memories: He volunteered to be caned
Before my first day my brother told me that at some time a teacher would ask for volunteers to be caned and I should volunteer because afterwards I would never fear being caned again. – Rod Tallis remembers Sharmans Cross secondary modern in Shirley Solihull, England, in 1958. Posted in May 2015 on his Rod’s Ramblings blog.
So how was this school run? Basically by the slipper and cane. The slipper was the sole of a size 10 plimsoll, or pump as it was called locally, and administered by any teacher for lesser misdemeanours in blows of one to four across the backside. For more serious offences the cane was used up to six of the best.
Even before I went to the
school I knew of this as my brother, seven years older than me, had already
experienced these. I vividly remember seeing him in the bath when he was 14 or
so with big blue wheals across his behind. He had been in trouble over something
or other and for punishment the teacher had told him to carry all the chairs
and desks out of the classroom.
“You must think I’m a
bloody fool to expect me to do that!” and for saying this he was rewarded with
six of the best.
The same teacher was to
teach me science later on and he had not mellowed much.
Before my first day my
brother told me that at some time a teacher would ask for volunteers to be
caned and I should volunteer because afterwards I would never fear being caned
again.
In one of the early days
1A1 was in the Art Room. The Art Teacher walked up and down between the desks
looking at our work. He carried his one-meter long cane with him, on the top he
had pushed a plastic Jiffy Lemon with which he use to “playfully” strike us
over the head as the fancy took him.
In the front row a boy had
dipped his brush into a colour at random and splodged it over his paper.
“What do you call that?”
shouted the teacher.
“I call it ‘All Colours’,
sir.”
Obviously not impressed by
the abstract side of painting “Get out to the front,” he barked “and bend over!”
He rotated the cane over so
that the Jiffy Lemon was above his hand and gave the budding artist two
swipes.
“Anyone like to volunteer
for the cane?” he asked after the boy had sat down.
Remembering my brother’s
advice my hand shot up, “Yes please sir” to everybody’s astonishment, including
myself, I called out.
So he ordered me out and
repeated the punishment on me. Well I immediately began to doubt the advice
once I felt the pain but on balance I think it did remove the fear as there
were many times I received the cane thereafter.
Now this may all sound at
best silly and at worse brutal, but it was a good school with great repartee
between teachers and pupils, and if we took it too far then one or several or
even the whole class would be slippered or caned and the balance restored.
Anyway that was the view from the A1 stream, not sure how the C, D and E
streams faired.
Still I would not be happy
now for the same treatment to be handed out to my grandchildren.
Picture credit: Sting Pictures
For more True Memories, click here
Traditional School Discipline
Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com






Comments
Post a Comment