Memories: Slipper on the bare from the school captain

“I had to take my trousers and underpants down, and bend over; and in that undignified and defenceless position I received my punishment”: A. Douglas Brear writes on the Bolton School (northern England) website about his experience in the late 1950s.


In the late 50s it seemed natural and just that I should be punished physically for any conduct which was deemed to be to be disruptive or impertinent. I recall the immediate and painful punishment meted out for simple misbehaviour: in front of the class, I would hold out my hand, palm up, and either the edge (!) of a ruler or a cane was brought down once, very hard.

I felt no sense of injustice, and had I ever informed anyone at home of the occurrence, there would have been an unquestioned acceptance of the system and of the justice of the punishment. The pain brought tears to the eyes, but after a while it was over and forgotten. Nevertheless, it was something to be avoided if at all possible.

However, my early years in the School were marked by much internal confusion and want of guidance and direction, and I was personally involved from time to time in activities which were at once anti-social and immoral. As a result, punishment took place at a higher level, and as I recall, usually in private.

In addition to staff, the School Captain [Head Boy] was accorded the right to administer punishment in certain cases, and I was known to that year’s Captain, he being a friendly and courteous person, though of an intimidating size: he assured me that this ‘would hurt him more than it would hurt me’.

I had to take my trousers and underpants down, and bend over; and in that undignified and defenceless position I received my punishment: in this case it was the expert, powerful and repeated application of a supple gym shoe to my person. But I was also caned in the same position on at least one other occasion. Not something to look forward to. 

Picture credit: Sting Pictures

For more True Memories, click here

For more items including Prefects, click here

 

Traditional School Discipline

Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com

Comments

  1. To illustrate the point of this fellows CANING in the same prone circumstances, a picture needs to be added for THAT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts