Autobiography of a cane

Here’s an oddity. A story written by Lillian Bernard, a child reader who contributed it to Children’s Corner in the Morning Bulletin, Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, on 9 May 1930

I am a cane. The very best friend to masters, and the very worst to schoolboys.

I am made from bamboo, and am about three feet in length. Many other canes were made with me. At least we were separated, one cane being sent to every master who in want of one. I was sent to Mr. Brown, who had many bad boys and girls to teach.

I arrived on Friday, and Mr. Brown, twisting me this way and that, exclaimed that I was the very cane he wanted.

“He! He!” sniggered one boy, “it’s a nice cane indeed. Indeed. Why, Mr. Brown won’t have that cane a week. I say, mate, will you help me to split that cane?”

“Alright, I'll help you,” said his friend. “Last time Mr. Brown received a new cane, he broke it on me the very first day.”

It was Monday, and the two boys came very early, intending to split me at both ends.  Up the stairs they stole, and into the school-room. The boys had now done the mischief, and I was put back in my place.

School had started, and work begun. The two boys, gloating over their fortune, soon passed the news around. “That’s enough talk,” said Mr. Brown, “go on with your work.” There was silence for a second. Then the noise continued. “On the floor for the cane, you two boys.”

How calmly they went, for they knew that I was damaged. But alas! In Mr Brown’s hurry he had seized his old cane.

Whack, whack, whack, whack  and the very disappointed boys went to their places.

The period of a year has now passed and as I was repaired, am as good as ever. But how I am hated at this school.

Picture credit: Unknown

Traditional School Discipline


Comments

Popular Posts