Memories: Double caning for Cliff Richard
Cliff Richard favours strict discipline, including caning, he told a Singapore newspaper in an interview.
Cliff, who was born in India, said his upbringing during British colonial rule gave him a deep appreciation for the law, even if enforcement included caning.
“If something is against the law, there must be some
punishment. Otherwise don’t have laws,” the paper quoted him saying.
“My father was a strict man. I remember coming home
from school once and I told him my teacher caned me. And my father caned me
again!” he said.
Singapore’s reliance on corporal punishment received
worldwide attention last year (1994) when authorities caned American teenager Michael Fay
who was convicted of vandalism.
Cliff said that discipline, diet and obstinacy were
key factors in his 36 years of pop music success.
As published in Evening
Herald (Dublin, Republic of Ireland), 25 January 1995.
Picture (of Cliff at school) credit: Unknown.
For
more True Memories, click here
Traditional School Discipline
Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com






Caning Sir Cliff ...... something I never ever thought of before .......
ReplyDelete