Memories: ‘When I was caned...!’: children’s writer Uncle Dick

Uncle Dick, who contributed to a weekly page for children in Britain’s Daily Mirror, wrote in the newspaper about his own canings. This from 1937.

Daily Mirror Office

MY DEAR BOYS AND GIRLS,

My nephews were no doubt pleased to read in the paper the other day that a gentleman who sells canes for his living does so only by the dozen nowadays – “whereas forty years ago canes for school were ordered in bundles of a hundred.”!

So all you naughty boys can safely remove the books from your trousers ...

Caning is certainly not so popular among schoolmasters as it was in my young days – and a jolly good job too, as I’m sure you’ll agree. The trouble is that the more frequent it is the less it means to the young culprit.

I can well remember the chastisements inflicted on us by the fiery Irish master of a little preparatory school I once attended. He was really the kindest-hearted old boy in the world – I can still see his gleaming spectacles and shiny bald head – but I am afraid the lads tries him beyond endurance.

If he heard anyone talking in class (and it was generally me!) he would take off his spectacles, dash them on to the mantlepiece and, snatching up his cane, rush at the offender like a lunatic. We got so used to these sudden attacks that we learnt to lean forward – and the cane, instead of striking our shoulders, bit deep into the back of the desk. I regret to say that mine was marked with many weals!

I cannot remember that he ever scored a direct hit – and I often wonder if he knew it all the time ..

Yours affectionately,

Uncle Dick

As published in the Daily Mirror 17 December 1937.

Picture credit: Unknown.

For more True Memories, click here

Traditional School Discipline

Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts