Whacking the sneak!
Bump! Clootz came down across the armchair, yelling, and the infuriated Jones held him pinned there face downwards. Then Flynn started operations with the cricket-stump. Whack, whack, whack! – Extracted from Just Like Jimmy, by Owen Conquest (a.k.a Frank Richards), The Boys’ Friend, 15 January 1916. Available to download free-of-charge here.
It is 1916 and Britain is at war with Germany. With good
intentions, the headmaster of Rookwood school takes on a new boy, Clootz, from
Germany as a pupil. The other boys are outraged. During a class Flynn throws an
inkball that hits a classmate. When form-master Mr. Bootles demands to know who
threw the pellet, Clootz sneaks on Flynn. Later Clootz returns to his study to
find Flynn and others waiting for him.
Now read on ...
Flynn laid down his egg spoon and fixed a deadly glare upon Clootz.
Jones minor rose to his feet. Oswald shrugged his
shoulders. After the sneaking in the Form-room Oswald had given him up.
Whatever his study-mates chose to do, Oswald was prepared to back them up.
“So you’ve come back?” said Flynn.
“Jaw old! Why should I not come to my study?”
“Ye dirty sneak!”
“Get out!” roared Jones minor.
Flynn jumped up.
“Gimme a cricket-stump!” he shouted.
Clootz backed to the door, his face pale.
“If you touch me I will go directly to Mr. Bootles,”
he exclaimed.
“Faith, if ye’re going to sneak we’ll give ye
something to sneak about, ye thafe of the world.”
“Ach! Mein Gott!” stuttered Clootz, as the Irish
junior grasped him by the shoulder and swung him half across the study. “let me
go!”
“Take off yer barnacles, and put up yer hands!” said
Flynn. “Sure, I’ll only use one hand meself, to make all fair. You can tie up
the other, Oswald. Is it a go, ye sneaking thafe?”
“I – I will not fight you.”
“Ye’re bigger than I am, intoirely, and older too. And
sure, I’ll use only one hand to ye.”
“Ach! I will not – ich will nicht – nicht – nicht!”
“Then it’s a licking, ye’re going to have,” said Flynn
grimly. “Shove him across the armchair, Jones!”
“What-ho!” said Jones.
Clootz struggled desperately, and Jones minor gave a loud
yell as sharp nails scored down his face, drawing red.
“Yarooh! Ow, ow! He’s scratching me!” yelled Jones.
“Pin the baste! I’ll give him scratchin’”
“Help!” yelled Clootz, “Help!”
Bump! The Boche came down across the armchair,
yelling, and the infuriated Jones held him pinned there face downwards. Then
Flynn started operations with the cricket-stump.
Whack, whack, whack!
“Ach! Help! Yoop! Help! Ach!”
Whack, whack, whack!
“Yarooh!”
“That’s for sneaking!” roared Flynn. “And that’s for
scratching like a cate, ye spalpeen! And that’s for being a Boche!”
Whack, whack, whack!
“And that’s for being a Hun! And that’s for being a
filthy Prussian! And that’s for not washin’ in the morning! And that’s for
snoring!”
“Ha, ha, ha!”
Whack, whack, whack!
“Ach! Help! Ach! I hate you! I hate you! Wait until
the Germans are here, and your school is burned over your heads! Ach! You shall
be beaten and shot like the Belgians. Ach! Help! Mein Gott!”
“That’s enough, Flynn you ass!” said Oswald laughing.
“Don’t break the stump. Kick him out!”
Flynn panted.
“Sure, I wouldn’t mind breakin’ the stump, on a sneak
and a Hun,” he said.
“That’s enough, fathead! He won’t sneak again.”
“I will tell Herr Bootles!” shrieked Clootz.
“He wants some more,” roared Flynn.
“Rats! Chuck it!”
“Chuck him out!” said Jones minor.
Oswald opened the door. Flynn pointed to it with the
stump.
“Clear out, ye spalpeen. And remimber, ivery time ye
show yere Prussian chivvy in this study, ye’ll get the same.”
Clootz turned a face white with rage and hatred upon
the Irish junior. He shook his fat fist at the whole study.
“I will have revenge for this!”
For more extracts from comics and story papers, click here
Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com






Comments
Post a Comment