Public caning after pub visit
Jimmy Silver & Co. looked anxiously out of the
doorway of the School House, into the darkness of the quad.
They were anxious for the captain of Rookwood to
return. Townsend & Co. had joined a merry party in Smythe’s study, little
dreaming of danger, and firmly believing themselves well out of the scrape.
There was, however, a surprise in store for those cheery young gentleman.
“There’s the gate bell,” said Lovell at last, as a
tinkle was heard across the silent quad.
“Bulkeley, at last,” said Raby in great relief.
The lights of a trap glimmered through the darkness. A
stout man drove up in a trap to the House, followed by Bulkeley on a bicycle .
The Captain of Rookwood jumped down and came in, followed by the proprietor of
the Peal of Bells. Jimmy Silver & Co. did not know the man, but they
guessed whom it was.
Mr. Bootles came out into the hall, and frowned
slightly at the sight of the red-faced Mr. Snaggs. He had supposed that he had
seen the last of that gentleman.
“This is that – What – What!” said Mr. Bootles in his
jerky way.
“I have asked this gentleman to come here, sir,” said
Bulkeley. “It appears that Silver was not in the party that made a disturbance
at his public-house today, and he has very kindly consented to come and clear
him.”
“Which I’m sorry, sir,” said Mr. Snaggs. “The young
limb gave me that there name, which I believed ’im. And I says to myself, says
I, I ain’t going to allow the wrong feller to be licked, says I, to save me a
little trouble. So ’ere I am.”
“Bless my soul.”
“I showed Mr. Snaggs a photograph of Silver, sir,”
explained Bulkeley. “He did not recognise it.”
“Dear me! Silver! Lovell! Mr. Snaggs, please look at
these juniors! Are they the boys who visited your place today?” asked Mr. Bootles,
very much flurried.
Mr. Snaggs scanned the Fistical Four. They submitted
cheerfully to the inspection.
“Never seed ’em before sir,” said the publican.
“Bless my soul! Would you mind stepping into the
Head’s room and assuring Dr. Chisholm on that point.
“Werry pleased, sir!”
Dr. Chisholm looked up as the publican was shown in.
“Really, Mr. Bootles – ” he began.
Mr. Bottles explained hastily.
“Which that’s the truth, sir,” said Mr. Snaggs. “I
’ave never clapped heyes on these young gents afore.”
“I am much obliged to you for coming to tell me so,
sir,” said the Head courteously. “You have prevented a very serious injustice
being done. My boys, I am sorry for this mistake! It is clear now that your
names were given by other persons. Mr. Snaggs you are of opinion that your
visitors were, however, boys of this school?”
“I knowed the caps,” said Mr. Snaggs.
“Then perhaps you may be able to point out the real
delinquents since you are here. Mr. Bootles, will you have the kindness to
assemble the Lower Forms in Hall?”
“Certainly, sir!”
There was considerable excitement in the school when
the Head’s order went forth. Shell and Fourth, Third and Second, turned out of
their studies and the Common-room, and were called in from the gym, to assemble
in Hall, most of them wondering what was in the wind.
The Fistical Four took their places in the ranks of
the Fourth. Mornington and his comrades were there, looking somewhat uneasy.
They had not seen Mr. Snaggs yet, but their consciences were not at ease.
There was a hush as Dr. Chisholm entered the Hall.
Then Townsend gave a gasp of terror as the fat form and red face of Mr. Snaggs
appeared, following Mr. Bootles in.
“By gad!” muttered Mornington.
“The game’s up!” groaned Townsend, under his breath.
Mr. Snaggs, will you be good enough to point out the
four boys who visited your house this afternoon, if they are here?” came the
deep voice of the head.
Mr. Snaggs’ beery but keen eyes roved over the ranks
of the assembled juniors. He stopped before the Fourth, and pointed to Townsend
& Co., with a slight grin.
“’ere they are!” he said.
“Mornington, Townsend, Topham, Peele, stand out!”
The Nutty Quartette stood out, pale and dismayed. The
game was up now.
“Bless my soul!” ejaculated Mr. Bottles. “These boys
have been absent since dinner, Dr. Chisholm, and they deceived me – deceived me
grossly – with a story of their car having broken down on the moor!”
“Indeed!” said the Head grimly. “Mr. Snaggs, I am very
much obliged to you! Good-evening, sir! Bring those four boys here, please, Mr.
Bootles! Now what have you to say?”
Townsend & Co. had nothing to say. But Mornington
shrugged his shoulders, with a sneer.
“You visited a public-house, made a disturbance there
and gave the names of four of your Form-fellows!” said Dr. Chisholm.
“I – I –” stammered Townsend helplessly.
We – we – It was all Mornington’s fault!” mumbled
Peele. “We – we didn’t want to go! He dragged us into it!”
“Is that the truth, Mornington?”
Mornington nodded coolly. Whatever were his faults –
and their name was legion – he did not want for coolness and pluck.
“Yes, it is true!” he said, with another shrug of the
shoulders. “I was bored to death and I wanted a little excitement. It was my
idea from first to last!”
The Head’s brow was thunderous.
“I am glad you are frank, at least,” he said. “But for
the fact you are a new boy, Mornington, I should expel you from the school for
this! It is not only your rascally escapade, but your baseness in uttering deliberate
falsehoods to place your guilt on other shoulders – that is the worst. You will
be flogged before the whole school tomorrow morning! Your companions will be
caned, and will write a thousand lines each!”
“Flogged! !” exclaimed Mornington. “I will not!”
“Silence! Dismiss!”
...
The next morning all Rookwood was assembled after
prayers to witness the flogging. Mornington did not submit quietly. He
struggled and kicked, and a couple of prefects had to go to the assistance of
old Mack, who had “hoisted” him. The flogging was all the more severe on that
account, and when it was over the new boy was quite subdued. It was the
severest lesson he had ever had, but it was a right and fitting punishment for
the fellow who had been Disgracing the School.
Words and picture extracted from
Disgracing the school by Owen
Conquest (a.k.a Frank
Richards), The Penny Popular, 31
January 1920, available
to download here.
For
more extracts from comics and story papers, click here
Traditional School Discipline
Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com






Comments
Post a Comment