New master shows the strength in his right arm

Swipe! Swipe! The cane came down, not the regulation six times, but twelve. Vernon-Smith's teeth were clenched hard; his face was white. 'Oh, my hat!' murmured Bob Cherry. – Extract from Thanks to Bunter, By Frank Richards, (Cassell & Company). Available to download here

THE Removites waited. What they had already seen of their new temporary master had made them agree that he was, indeed, worthy of the description he had earned at St. Richard's, of “the Babe in the Wood”. However, even the most harmless ass could hardly ignore one of his pupils characterising him, as the Bounder had done.

The mild-looking eyes blinked behind the gold-rimmed glasses.

'My boys,' said Mr. Foss, quietly. 'I came here to inquire whether anything has been seen of Bunter, who was absent from calling-over?'

'No, sir. He isn't here,' stammered Harry Wharton.

'The boy must be found,' continued Mr. Foss. 'The Headmaster wishes to see him. However, let us leave that for the moment. As I entered this passage I heard some words uttered.'

The juniors stirred. The Remove passage was becoming more crowded. Lord Mauleverer and Peter Todd, Wibley, Squiff and Brown, and Skinner, Stott and Snoop had all come out of their studies.

'I am a newcomer here,' said Mr. Foss.' I had hoped to deserve - and receive - the respect of my form. Yet, the words I heard just now-'

His eyes turned upon the Bounder. They were no longer mild! 'Your name, please?'

'Vernon-Smith, sir.'

'I am surprised. Vernon-Smith - I am amazed! You have cast doubt on my word - the word of your form-master - in the most reprehensible language! Why?'

'I am sorry I used those words, sir,' replied the Bounder, 'but I heard that you had told some fellows that you had arrived at Friardale by the 3.30-'

'So I did. What is that to you?'

Vernon-Smith stared at him.

'I was at Friardale Station then, sir,' he said. 'I was waiting to meet someone - who was expected to come by that train. I saw all the passengers who got out of that train - and the next. You were not amongst them. That's all!'

There was a touch of insolence in the Bounder's voice now.

Mr. Foss's expression had lost its mildness. It was now obvious that he was very angry.

'Upon my word, Vernon-Smith,' he exclaimed. 'You did not see me - a man whom you did not then know by sight - amongst a crowd of passengers - and for such a reason you state that your form-master is lying?'

Vernon-Smith set his lips.

'There wasn't a crowd, sir,' he said. 'Only a few people got out at Friardale - and I knew them all.'

'Indeed? Do you persist in your statement, Vernon-Smith, after I have informed you that I, most certainly, came to Friardale by the train which arrived there at 3.30 this afternoon?'

Vernon-Smith was silent. Even the reckless Bounder could hardly go to the length of calling a form-master a liar, to his face!

'This is a small matter,' said Mr. Foss, 'but it does not alter the fact, Vernon-Smith, that you have been guilty of almost unheard-of insolence. I cannot allow such an offence to pass by. Reluctant as I am to punish a boy on the first day of my arrival, I must deal with you with the greatest severity.' He turned and looked at Skinner. 'You - what is your name?'

'Skinner, sir.'

'Go to my study, Skinner - no, not to my study. It is not yet in order - to Mr. Prout's or some other master's and ask him to lend me a cane.'

'With pleasure, sir!' Skinner grinned at the Bounder, as he left. He had not forgotten Vernon-Smith's remarks to him at Friardale Station that afternoon! All eyes turned on the Bounder. That he had made a mistake, unlikely as it seemed, most of the Removites were disposed to believe. He had only to say so - but Vernon-Smith knew that he had made no mistake! Not for a whopping or a dozen whoppings would he state that he had, when he knew that to be false.

Skinner returned with a cane. Mr. Foss took it, flung open the door of the nearest study and pointed to a chair. 'Bend over that chair, Vernon-Smith.'

Vernon-Smith entered the study and did so in silence.

Foss followed him. This was the man who, according to Skinner, never whopped. It was plain that he was going to do so now!

The cane rose and fell with a terrific swipe. The Removites caught their breaths. Quelch had a heavy hand with a cane, when he considered it necessary - but Quelch never caned like this! For all his mildness, Mr. Foss seemed able to do so. Vernon-Smith could hardly keep back a yell.

Swipe! Swipe! The cane came down, not the regulation six times, but twelve. Vernon-Smith's teeth were clenched hard; his face was white.

'Oh, my hat!' murmured Bob Cherry.

Mr. Foss stopped after the twelfth stroke. The Bounder rose from the chair, his face like chalk.

'I trust that this will be a warning to you, Vernon-Smith,' said Mr. Foss. He put the cane under his arm, and left the Remove passage. There was a dead silence behind him. The Bounder lay against the wall panting.

'Hard luck, old chap!' said Lord Mauleverer, sympathetically. Vernon-Smith looked at him.

'That man is a liar,' he said, thickly. 'He swiped me like this because I found him out. I don't know what he's hiding - but I'll find out and make him sorry for this.'

'For goodness sake, Smithy-' began Harry Wharton. 'The man's a brute - he isn't as mild as he looks, but-'

'Let him wait!' said the Bounder.

 

For more Billy Bunter, click here

For more extracts from novels, click here

 

Traditional School Discipline

Traditionalschooldiscipline@gmail.com


Comments

Popular Posts