Memories: A lifetime of resentment
Corporal punishment was a way of life in many – probably most – schools in the United Kingdom until it was made unlawful in 1986. Boys were punished in this way almost routinely. For some they simply shrugged off the experience and moved on. For others (and who can tell how many?) it was a devasting experience and one that they never forgot. – Here John Paull recounts on his blog his days at Penzance Grammar School in Cornwall in England during the early 1950s.
Even though one tries to
remember the good things about one’s school days, there’s one abiding memory I
have, literally a hurtful one that I want to describe: the painful,
humiliating, angry memory of being caned.
The system of punishment in
place in my grammar school in the 1950s was quite simple: if you were a dead
good lad and did everything you should do, you collected Merit Marks. So, for
example, if your homework was spot on and you received, say, 10 out of 10, you
were awarded a Merit Mark. It was recorded in your Journal and signed and dated
by the teacher.
If you were naughty and did
something that irritated the teacher, you were given a Conduct Mark.
If, and when, you collected
10 Conduct Marks, you had to go to the Headmaster after school on a Tuesday,
and explain yourself. He would then decide whether to cane you or not.
If you were really a pain
in the class, boing noisy and upsetting the teacher, he had the power to give
you THREE Conduct Marks. That meant you immediately went to the Headmaster’s
Study and, without any discussion, you were caned.
I wasn’t a difficult pupil.
Well, I don't think I was. I was just a working class kid with a kid’s sense of
right and wrong, and a kid’s sense of humour – one that, I’m sure, though,
wasn’t always appreciated by teachers.
I’d heard from others that
being caned, hurt. Hurt really bad. Some kids had blue welts on their hands
after being whacked. Sure as hell, I did not want to be caned by the
Headmaster.
But, as luck would have it, in my third year at grammar school, about half-way
through December, I had collected nine Conduct Marks. So I knew I had to be
extra careful and not get my 10th.
Well, the day came when I
wasn’t careful enough, when I couldn’t keep my trap shut, when my wishing rock
didn’t get me out of trouble. One
Tuesday, I irritated the placid Mr. Hogg, my form teacher.
“Paull,”
he said sternly, “Bring me your journal.
That’s enough. There’s one conduct mark for you.”
My heart sank. I knew what
that meant. I pleaded with him. “Sir, it
weren’t me, Sir, ‘Onest.”
But it was, indeed, me. I
told a lie. I told a lie because I was scared. When Mr. Hogg opened my Journal,
he saw that I had nine Conduct Marks. His bottom lip dropped. He frowned. He
knew that he was sending me to be caned. I squeezed my hands, and said again I
was sorry.
But, and I now, of course,
understand why, Mr. Hogg, biting his lip, went ahead and signed in my 10th
Conduct Mark, adding the comment, “Paull talks too much when he should be
reading.”
He looked at me and said, “Could
have said you lied to me, you know.”
I went back to my seat,
already fearful of what lay ahead.
As always, I went home for
midday dinner. I hardly touched my plate full of fried chips. told my mum I
would be late home after school. “Goin’ to go to the after-school chess club,
so I won’t be home right on the button, Mum. That ok?” It wasn’t a lie because
I knew I would need to go to the chess club after being whacked. That’s where
everyone went for a quiet sob.
She smiled. “Of course.
Glad you’re learning about chess. Your dad can play, you know. Learn and you
can play with him.”
The afternoon flew by. It
went by at a million miles an hour. Just after 4 o’clock, I lined up with
several other boys outside the Headmaster’s secretary’s office.
When it was my turn, I went
inside the Headmaster’s study. Without looking at me, he took my Journal,
quickly read the comments made by the teachers, signed it, handed it to me, and
said firmly, “Wait outside with the rest.”
There was no reprieve for
me. I joined the queue of lads. Everyone stared at the floor, not saying a
word. I could feel the cloud of embarrassment, shame and fear that hung over
the group.
Eventually, the Headmaster
came out, carrying a long, thin wooden yellow cane.
He beckoned to the first
boy. “Come here. HERE!" The boy moved towards the Headmaster.
“Hold out your hand. Higher, boy, higher!”
He raised the cane as high
as he could, looked the boy in the eye, and smacked the cane against the boy’s
fleshy hand. He let out a sharp sound.
The Headmaster glared at
the boy.
“Don’t
cry, boy. Don't cry.”
“Now,
the other hand. Quick!”
The
Headmaster raised the cane and whacked the boy’s left hand. Tears came gushing
down his cheeks.
“And,
what do you say?”
“Thank
you, Sir,” wailed the boy, squeezing his hands between his knees.
“Good.
Now be off with you….and don’t let me see you here again.” said the Headmaster.
“Next.”
Too
soon, it was my turn. The Headmaster glared at me.
“Come
here, Paull. Step forward. Hold out your hand…..you’re RIGHT hand!”
I
held out my right hand and stretched and parted my fingers.
“You,
Paull, should know better. Hear you want to be a teacher. Lord help us! Two for
you.”
The
cane bit into my hand, shooting a flashing hot pain up to my elbow. I
immediately squeezed my hand shut, winced, and fought back the tears.
“Now
the other one. Hold it out. HIGHER!” said the Headmaster
The left hand hurt more
than the right. I cried. I couldn’t control the flood of tears that ran down
onto my lips.
Rubbing my hands together
to ease the burning sensation, I looked at the floor thanked the Headmaster for
hurting me so much. “Don’t let me see you here again, Paull,” he grunted.
Rubbing my hands and squeezing
my fingers, I went and joined the chess
club. I sat next to a couple of my
friends who were scrutinizing the chessboard. Dudley looked up at me. “You
cryin'? You ok?”
“Did it hurt?”
“Yes,” I said, “it bloody
did. Look.” I showed him the dull blue welts on the palms of my hands.
“Bloody 'ell,” said Dudley.
“Look at that!”
There was no way that I
could concentrate on how to understand and play the very complicated game of
chess.
Dad was home from work. I put my hands in my pockets. He asked me if I’d had a
good day at school.
“Yes, Dad, dead good day.
Gotta go upstairs and do my homework. Down soon for tea.”
I went upstairs, opened my satchel,
and took out my English homework. My hands were hurting so much I couldn’t keep
hold of the pen.
I wonder to this day why
the Headmaster didn’t give me chance to tell him how sorry I was for being a
naughty boy.
Picture credit:
Unknown
For more True Memories, click here






Comments
Post a Comment